Today marks the one year anniversary of our legendary musician Papa Wemba’s death so we’re bringing you 5 facts about one of Africa’s most influential musicians.
- Papa Wemba was born Jules Shungu Wembadio Pene Kikumba on June 14, 1949 in Lubefu in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- He began singing in a Roman Catholic church choir, and burst on to the local music scene with his first band, Zaiko Langa Langa, in 1969.
- In 1979, he became the unofficial leader of the Société des Ambianceurs et des Personnes d‘Élégance (SAPE) which is a society of fashionable and elegant people.
- In 2008 he performed at a concert in London to celebrate Nelson Mandela’s 90th birthday.
- He worked with the likes of Stevie Wonder, Eric Clapton and Peter Gabriel.